Thursday 15 January 2009

A new term

Uni starts up again on Monday, I feel both a mixture of anticipation and fear.  As the new term begins I realize its only a few months until I am off to do my field work. While I'm excited to begin there is the slight problem of not knowing exactly where I'm going to be doing it.  I feel as a pg student I should have everything mapped out and know exactly what I want to do and where I want to do it. The problem is there are so many things I want to do for a dissertation its difficult deciding what I should do. I want it to be something worthwhile, not a silly project that has no purpose or impact. I suppose there in lies the problem, I do I decide what is worthwhile or what will make an impact? Perhaps I want to take on to much.  As people that know me read this I'm sure they roll their eyes and wonder if I ever make a decision. The answer is simple no, I am the most indecisive person which is by far one of my greatest downfalls.  
I still wake up the middle of the night (on nights that I sleep that is) with ideas for films and projects. I of course pull out my handy notebook which I keep next to my bed and jot down the idea.  So I have a million ideas and no clear path to follow.  Lately I've been thinking of the poem by Robert Frost 

The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bend in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no stop had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.

Not sure why this poems keeps strolling though my head nor why I can remember it so well considering I learned it so long ago when I was in junior high. It has always stuck with me though for some odd reason. Perhaps it is a sign I to should take the road less traveled, I don't know.  Poetry has never been my forte I like to read it, love to listen to it being recited yet rarely fully comprehend what is being said.  I often feel this way in lectures as well. I listen to what is being said and have to work so hard at times to figure out exactly what is meant.  I sometimes wonder if I'm supposed to be in graduate school at all.  Of course all pg students go through this I am told.  And so I continue to trudge up this educational Everest, praying I reach the summit to enjoy the view. 



No comments: