Tuesday 4 August 2009

Ummm Plymouth Rock?


In the U.S. pilgrim refers to the early European settlers, you know the one who celebrated the first thanksgiving with the Native Americans. I realize that there are other definitions for the word pilgrim, as it used to describe a person who is making a pilgrimage to a religious or some other place of significance.
Never the less I was a bit surprised when I saw the signs directing pilgrims to parkwood. I'm guessing that the pilgrims being led to parkwood are in Canterbury perhaps making a pilgrimage to Canterbury cathedral as it was where St Thomas Becket was martyred and has the tombs of King Henry IV and Edward the Black Prince of Wales.

On a side note about Canterbury, I recently learned that Charles Dickens used Canterbury as the backdrop for David Copperfield, pretty cool yeah?

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Where's parkwood? But yes very cool.