Friday 21 August 2009

Make Mine Trout


Those who know me, know that I love to bake, I'm always on the lookout for a new recipe to try and I often like to create my own. I have spent countless hours in kitchens coming up with new cookie recipes, brownie recipes and the like. Some have been triumphs such as porcupine cookies (named because they are a vanilla cookie rolled in slivered almonds and when baked kind of have a porcupine appearance- I didn't name them though that was my friend Chris) others have been failures and given names like skunk suckers (a hard candy experiment that went horribly wrong and quite literally smelled like skunk :P).
Today I decided to look around and see if I could find a better cheesecake recipe than the one I already have. While I know that mine is reliable and I've tweaked it so it comes out the way I like, I thought it might be nice to try a new one. I read through the first several recipes and they seemed pretty standard, some called for lemon, others almond extract, there was one however that I had to look at twice as I thought I had read it wrong. The title was normal, it just said delicious cheesecake, I clicked on the title to have a look at the ingredients and the directions. Skimming the ingredients I had to look twice, fourth ingredient down, trout. Yes, I said trout. I thought for sure I had read it wrong so I looked again, but there it was T R O U T. While I do like fish and I'm not at all opposed to trying new things for the most part, I draw the line at adding trout to mine or anyone else's cheesecake. Cheesecake can have chocolate, nuts, berries, fruit, candy, even cookies in it, but not fish. That just crosses the line......

No comments: