Friday 14 November 2008

Adventures in Filming

Okay so I had a film topic all lined up, sounds like a good thing right? Well that couldn't be further from the truth. I had absolutely no interest what so ever in the topic. Here was the original idea, 2 fellow classmates and myself were going to go to Boho's a suave little cafe on highstreet and shoot a film. One was focusing on the family that ran it, another on one of the waitresses and I was supposed to focus my film on the regulars. Now I have nothing against coffee shops, I love hanging out in them, but I had no desire or inspiration for this film. I actually was to the point where I felt hostility towards the entire idea. So I get there for the filming early yesterday morning to start the shoot because I couldn't back out as the other two needed my help with camera, sound, etc... The lecturer was there as well to help us out. I wanted to talk to her right then and explain to her how I felt but with the others there I just couldn't do. So I put on my happy face and got to work.
We were going along working hard, etc... Well it came time that we needed the boom mic for some sound bites. So I grabbed the bag and started getting it set up for them. I grabbed the boom stick and went to screw on the mic but couldn't because the screw was missing. I told the lecturer and she was really upset about it as the stick costs about £200. Crazy huh. We were all in a bit of a panic because we needed to keep shooting and we needed to get the sound. So we decided to use the lapel mic and do interviewing rather than the other. I quickly got the lapel mic set up for them and then the lecturer suggested that one of us go back to uni with her and grab the other boom stick in case we needed it. I volunteered to go. So we left and as we were walking I finally got up the gumption to tell her how I felt about the film topic. I was afraid she would be upset. But actually she was really glad that I told her. She agreed that you have to have passion to make a film. If you don't like the topic its going to show in your work. It was probably the best 30 minute talk I've had with a professor in awhile. We talked about my previous films (she assumed I was a novice like the others, while I'm by no means an expert I do know a little bit) and what I should work on this time to give me a challenge. We worked over some possible ideas, now it up to me to see if I can make them work. After talking to her I felt as if a huge weight had been lifted off me. We went to uni I grabbed the boom stick then caught a bus down to highstreet to get back to the shoot. Though it was no longer my film shoot I was not going to abandon my friends. Thats not cool. We had a full day of shooting and I think we got some pretty good stuff. They learned some of the issues of filming (peoples fear of the camera, etc...) I got to brush up on my skills. Over all it was a good day, stressful, but good. I still don't have a definite film topic and I'm stressing out about it, but I'll make it.
Had a really good talk with a friend of mine and if I get to do the film that I want (it depends on whether or not people are willing or not) to do we are going to do a collaborative project later on. Talking to her totally changed my out look on the situation. I'm excited to make this work. If we get to do a collaborate project later on with funding, etc.. what an opportunity that will be. Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: