Friday 7 November 2008

And so it begins

Had my first essay due on Monday, so stressful. This was my topic; Ethnographic Film in the 21st Century: Repacking Archival Film/Footage for Contemporary Presentation. Wow I know.....
How do you even begin the research for on a topic like this. I did what any other pg student would do, went to my advisor and said help! My advisor kindly gave me the title of a book as a jumping off point. I headed immediately to the library the snag the book before anyone else could and spent the remained of the day checking out the bibliography in the back to see if there was anything else I could use. I did manage to find several sources to use for my essay and then began the writing process. I worked all week long on the essay barely leaving my room except for trips to the library. I didn't even really eat that week to concerned with the essay to be bothered with cooking. Anyway sunday night I am nearly at the 2000 word count (which is the max. the essay can be) I decide to read through and see how it sounds. I read through and realize its not at all right, what to do? Yep I deleted it, all 1897 words. Started over again, by this time the stress level is so high I'm about the have a panic attack. I had several chats open as some classmates and I were keeping each other awake and sane and giving encouragement. Every little while we would ask eachother word counts, etc... Lynn gets online and I'm telling her my tragedy about not being able to find examples of what I need to support my arguement. Then she starts giving me examples to use and even does an interview. Shout out to Lynn, you are the most awesome person ever!!! I owe you big time. Thanks to her, I was able to pull the new essay together and get in done just in time. I even managed to have enough time to get someone to proof read it for me. Not only did I turn in my first essay, but I survived my first all nighter. One of many more to come I am sure.
Anyway, the essay is over, its turned in and out of my hands. The only thing I can do now is sit back and wait for the marks. I'm trying not to think about it to much. I have another essay due in a few weeks anyway so I'm getting ready to start working on that one.

No comments: